One of the responsibilities I carry is to tell people the truth about certain foods you think are OK to consume. In this case I am talking to you about Soda pop.
Soft drinks are consumed in millions of gallons by millions of people every year. It has long been the subject of debate with many thinking it simple isn’t all that bad for you.
Why is soda bad for you?
Consider these indirect points:
- Soda is carbonated by carbon dioxide gas. This is a gas humans expel with breathing because it’s a poisonous gas to us. How can ingesting it NOT be bad for you?
- Soda, in part due to that carbon dioxide, makes us feel ‘full’. That can reduce our intake of healthy foods and the nutrients our bodies need. In this way, soda is indirectly affecting your health.
- Soda has absolutely no beneficial value. Again, ignoring the direct negative effects it has on our bodies, drinking it in place of other choices robs us of opportunities to improve our health.
As for the direct negative health effects of soft drinks:
- Sugar-sweetened Drinks (this includes soda) Linked to Dangerous Visceral Fat. Visceral fat is what builds up around your internal organs. It is a greater cause of diabetes and heart disease that the more common ‘body fat’.
- Tooth decay. Increased and prolonged consumption of soft drinks, because of their acidic nature, damage tooth enamel over time. This makes your teeth weaker, more sensitive and at great risk of cavities. The acidity of soft drinks makes it worse than consuming ‘solid’ sugars found in candy.
- That acidity mentioned above also has a profound effect on your digestive system.
The pH of soda is 2.5 (battery acid, as a comparison, is 1).
The only portion of your digestive trackable to handle a pH that low is your stomach. Prolong drinking of soft drinks will cause damage to every other portion of your digestive system.
And these are just a few of the negative health effects of drinking soft drinks! (Read more at emedexpert.com).
If you decide it’s time to cut out soda from your ‘diet’, there are other alternatives that can help you lose weight and they taste good! Contact us today and we’ll be happy to talk to you about it.
Sweet Relief Acupuncture
Follow me on Facebook